Friday, May 25, 2012

TGIF





Today's question:
What are some of the worst book covers, but hold some of the best stories inside? 


I guess this is a prime example of Don't Judge a Book By its Cover....


Anna and the French Kiss
WONDERFUL story. Seriously. I am in hardcore literary love with this book....but the cover is just so darn cheesy! It's actually what kept me from picking it up for months! Now, when I try to recommend it to my friends, NONE of them can take me seriously when I showed them the cover!



The Mortal Instruments series
I've been so engrossed in these novels the past years that I think my brain has blocked out their rather unfortunate covers...
 In 7th grade, I clearly remember one of my friends starting this novel and gushing about it. I took one look at the cover and guffawed. I mean, there's a half-naked dude with yellow skin on the cover! 
....But then in high school, I started the series.... and the rest was history....
*sigh* Herondales <3






The Private series
 Stereotypical preteen girl cover right? But the story was addicting! Once I started this series, I just couldn't stop! Believe me, this cover is not something I want to be seen with in public, but I would still highly recommend this book to everyone!










 Howl's Moving Castle
 I enjoyed the book. Maybe not as much as I loved the Miyazaki film, but I definitely did like it. BUT if I hadn't known about the movie, or the fact that it was based on this book, I would NEVER in a million years have picked this up by choice! 
I mean, it's not hat the cover's particularly hideous or anything... but it's not exactly pleasing either. Just kinda off-putting.


Sweet Gum Tree

This is, hands down, one of the BEST love stories I've ever read. And believe me... just about every book I read contains romance. When I was reading this, everything else was on hold. But if I hadn't been for the stellar reviews I saw about it, I don't think I would've personally picked this out. The cover is a rather '80s/'90s -looking and gives no indication that there's a fabulous story inside! But believe me, this book is AMAZING. Definitely check it out!








3 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of the City of Bones & Anna and the French Kiss's covers either. And I still need to read them!
    The others I haven't heard of, but I might check them out since you love them.

    My TGIF/Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like the Anna cover, but I can see your point. Yes for the City of Bones...yellow people? Weird....

    Old follower.

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/follow-friday-27-and-tgif-16.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually about to start City of Bones soon! I've heard so many good things about it, but I agree, the cover is sort of odd. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I read every single one and they always make my day! <3

*Sorry, this is now an awards-free blog as I've already been nominated for them. Thanks for your consideration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...