Thursday, November 8, 2012

Feature and Follow #21


Follow Friday is a really fun way to make new blogger friends and promote your blog in the process! This weekly meme is hosted byAlison Can Read and Parajunkee


Do you mind books with similar ideas similar to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings, or pulled-to-publish fanfiction?


To be honest, reading a similar plot/idea over and over does kind of annoying, but most writers get their influences from somewhere, and if that place is another book, then that's totally fine. What I hate  is reading a story that has been crafted with a cookie-cutter mold that, if some names and places were changed, could be almost exactly like another book.

Having similar ideas or backgrounds or retellings isn't necessarily a bad thing unless the author can successfully make it their own in some way.

9 comments:

  1. Good point! I get a lot of my ideas from others. I don't ever recycle the exact same ones, but put my own twist on them or integrate them into an original idea. Old follower via GFC. My FFs are at Musings on Fantasia and LKHill. Happy Friday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it, too, when I'm reading a book and if I switched out a name here and there, I'd have a carbon copy of another book that I've read.

    Our FF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping through. Definitely important to make a similar idea more than cookie cutter. Luckily, many authors manage.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. But I still enjoy books even if they have a similar theme or concept that another book has. It's hard to come up with a unique idea, but you can take a used idea and totally make it your own. And I read books that do that and I love them!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answer! I think similar themes and concepts are fine as long as the author adds their own twist or something that makes it theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate cookie cutter books as well. On the other hand, I always love when authors take an "old" idea and make it feel new. Old follower.

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't agree more Joie!! And I am *SO* excited that you got a copy of Easy. Can't wait to see what you think, let me know when you start it. :) YAY!!!

    My Feature and Follow Friday

    Christine
    Rainy Day Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how we are on the same page! Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed! Cookie-cutters are only good for making cookies :D

    I'm a new follower! Here is my FFF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I read every single one and they always make my day! <3

*Sorry, this is now an awards-free blog as I've already been nominated for them. Thanks for your consideration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...