Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My Book Boyfriend: Mr. Darcy

MBB is an awesome weekly meme started by Missie The Unread Reader (find out more at by reading the intro post) and is currently co-hosted by Lesley over at My Keeper Shelf!

So. After years and years of putting off reading Pride and Prejudice, AP English summer reading finally forced me to give in.
And I LOVED it. (A review will be coming soon!)
I unashamedly take back every bad thing I thought about this book because it was a classic. 
This. Book. Was. Awesome. 
Oh yes, I definitely swooned over the finery of Mr. Darcy. 

Ladies, I've joined the Darcy-worshiping cult....

Here's a little about the book for those of you who haven't read it:

"When Elizabeth Bennet first meets eligible bachelor Fitzwilliam Darcy, she thinks him arrogant and conceited, while he struggles to remain indifferent to her good looks and lively mind. When she later discovers that Darcy has involved himself in the troubled relationship between his friend Bingley and her beloved sister Jane, she is determined to dislike him more than ever. In the sparkling comedy of manners that follows, Jane Austen shows the folly of judging by first impressions and superbly evokes the friendships, gossip and snobberies of provincial middle-class life."



So first he's all:
“She is tolerable; but not handsome enough to tempt me; I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men. You had better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles, for you are wasting your time with   me.”   

and
"Elizabeth, having rather unexpected to affront him, was amazed at his gallantry; but there was a mixture of sweetness and archness in her manner which made it difficult for her to affront anybody; and Darcy had never been so bewitched by any woman as he was by her. He really believed, that were it not for the inferiority of her connections, he should be in some danger."

But then stuff happened and I was all

And then:
Elizabeth's spirit's soon rising to playfulness again, she wanted Mr. Darcy to account for his having ever fallen in love with her. "How could you begin?" said she.
"I can comprehend your going on charmingly, when you had once made a beginning; but what could set you off in the first place?"

 "I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.” 

“You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged; but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever.”

“You have bewitched me, body and soul.”


“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.



How can you not melt at that????
<3 <3 <3 <3

6 comments:

  1. I love Pride and Prejudice. Mr. Darcy is definitely swoon worthy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwww perfect *sobs* Pride and Prejudice is my all time favourite classic and Mr Darcy is probably the top old school/classic book boyfriend ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I absolutely adore Mr. Darcy though, for some reason, I've never featured him on MBB. I'll have to do that soon. Great post and thanks for the beautiful gif that will get me through the workday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love him too :-) I like Wentworth from JA's novel Persuasion too...and that one inspired Diana Peterfreund's For Darkness Shows the Stars. But my ultimate book boyfriend is Thornton from Elizabeth Gaskell's classic "North and South". I know it's wrong to say, but I loved the TV mini-series even more than the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr.Darcy, omg i love pride and prejudice and Mr.Darcy so much. SWOON SWOON DOUBLE SWOON. he's just...this is just...ahhhh! I loved the whole, running in the rain and riding on my horse to find my love thing totally heart warming. ahhhhh. All time favourite classic. Join the Mr.Darcy fan club;) hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read this one... but sounds like I really need to and join the Darcy fan club.
    Thanks for reputting on my radar,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I read every single one and they always make my day! <3

*Sorry, this is now an awards-free blog as I've already been nominated for them. Thanks for your consideration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...