Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My Book Boyfriend: Augustus Waters

My Book Boyfriend is a weekly meme hosted over at the Unread Reader---for more info, check out the introduction post here

This week's book boyfriend is...
Augustus "Gus" Waters

from The Fault in Our Stars by John Greene 


  • 17 years old
  • was diagnosed w/ Osteosarcoma (bone cancer)
  • had one leg amputated
  •  used to be a really good basketball player
  • "long and leanly muscular"
  • mahogany brown hair
  • beautiful blue eyes
  • loves metaphors--ex: puts cigarettes in his mouth without actually smoking any; "He puts the killing thing in his mouth but doesn't give it the power to kill him."
  • very funny
  • all-around good guy
"She's right. It's just that most really good-looking people are stupid, so I exceed expectations."
"Right, it's primarily his hotness," I said.
"It can be sort of blinding," he said.
"it actually did blind our friend Isaac," I said.
"Terrible tragedy, that. But can I help my own deadly beauty?"
"You cannot."
"It is my burden, this beautiful face."
"Not to mention your body."
"Seriously, don't even get me started on my hot bod. You don't want to see me naked, Dave. Seeing me naked actually took Hazel Grace's breath away," he said, nodding toward the oxygen tank.




"I'm sorry," i said again.
"Me too," he said.
"i don't ever want to do that to you," I told him.
"Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."


"what else? She is so beautiful. YOu don't get tired of looking at her. You never worry if she is smarter than you: You know she is. SHe is funny without ever being mean. I love her. I am so lucky to love her, Van Houten. You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, ol man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers."


"I'm in love with you," he said quietly.
"Augustus," I said.

"I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I"m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasures of saying true things. I'm in love wit you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I  am in love with you."

7 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book. All my friends really love it!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book and Augustus! So fabulous! Great quotes and that model looks like the perfect Augustus.

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-book-boyfriend-31-rehvenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why haven't I read this book yet. Gus sounds amazing. I love his use of metaphors.

    P.S. Please consider removing CAPTCHA (word verification) on MBB meme days to make blog commenting easier. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this on my TBR and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard this book is brutally devastatingly sad so I probably won't read it but Augustus sounds so sweet and wonderful! I swoon at all his quotes! Poor guy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I LOVE Gus! He's such a great choice and those quotes are perfect. Now I want to go back and read this one again - thank you for sharing! :)

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-book-boyfriend-3-ezekiel-crosse.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only one week? Well... I guess I can forgive you for not making him your permanent book boyfriend, since then he can be mine forever... Mm, Augustus Waters... Hazel says at one point that he isn't perfect, but I disagree.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I read every single one and they always make my day! <3

*Sorry, this is now an awards-free blog as I've already been nominated for them. Thanks for your consideration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...