Saturday, September 8, 2012

Review: Unspoken

Title: Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy #1)
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Adults
Publication Date: September 11, 2012
Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?

Rating: 5 stars*
What do I like about this book? Hmm....

I think the better question is what DON'T like about this book?
Because that list is virtually non-existent.

I just cannot get over how fabulously the author tackled every aspect of this book that could have made it just another typical, clichéd  YA novel!
Just the fact that Kami has been able to talk to this "imaginary" boy in her head for her entire life, this imaginary boy she's in love with, only to suddenly discover that he's real and they now go to the same school! Oh yes, the boy she's told everything to--every secret, thought, insecurity--this boy is not a figment of her imagination. I feel like this set-up could have easily turned into a major case of insta-love, but THANK YOU GODS OF LITERATURE for giving Sarah Rees Brennan a much more brilliant idea! 
Kami and Jared are pretty freaked out at discovering the other is 100% real--understandably so, I might add--They're not sure whether they should be friends, girlfriend-boyfriend, or enemies. They spend a fair bit of time resenting the fact that the other person isn't imaginary and I LOVED IT. 
Their relationship is just so unique in the world of YA--confusing, strained, frustrating, yet at the same time, their chemistry is undeniable. It's just crafted wonderfully and very realistically. 

Now let's just take a moment to appreciate the sheer awesomeness of Brennan's characters. Seriously. They. Are. Magnificent. Not only are they all very distinct, personality-wise, but they're all gifted with impressive wit. I wish I could be funny like Kami and Angela--no actually, can I just be BFFs with them??? Angela was a personal favorite of mine. I mean, how often do you meet a character who loves naps, is super lazy, can seriously kick butt, and hates people? I was like, "let me love you!" Kami was sassy and super witty, very much like Veronica Mars. I fell in love with Kami's character from the moment she made her first joke. Another thing about these characters that was so refreshing was how sensible they all were! Especially Kami! She thought things through, was courageous but not stupid, and didn't let her emotions take over! The best way to describe her would be this quote:

"She didn't want to be the girl who just believed in the guy she liked, no matter what extenuating mind-reading circumstances existed. She didn't want her feelings to blind her. She didn't want anything to blind her. She did not know what her feelings were, or what his were, or how to separate the two. She did not want to drown in what was between them and lose control, or lose who she was." 
If you hated Bella, I think you're going to love Kami. Heck, even if you liked Bella, you'll still probably love Kami because she is just made of awesomesauce. 

All in all: This. Book. Is. Freaking. Amazing. There is a supernatural element present in the book--which I won't spoil for you--but I can honestly say that Brennan's take on this is quite unique and honestly? I did not see it coming. At all. 

*I was provided a copy of this book by Netgalley and the publishers in return for an honest review.

11 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Lovely review, now I really cannot wait to read this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an interesting book. I may have to check it out. I'm a new follower. Check out my blog at http://www.melinathereader.com Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just realized this is due out Tuesday, September 11th. That's my birthday! Maybe I will go ahead and treat myself to a copy. :)

    Great review!

    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I've been hearing about this book for a while and it's good to hear that it's so awesome. :D Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHHHH!! VERONICA MARS GIVES ME ALL THE FEELINGS!!! Plus a million points to this review for mentioning her. Also great review and I can't wait to dig into this. Putting it on my list like NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh cool, 5 stars! Thanks for the review, looking forward to reading my copy. So many good books so little time.

    Braine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your review! Cannot wait to get my hands on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your review really made me want to read this book :] Just added it to my to-read list and I can't wait for it to come out! It sounds interesting, and I'm always up for an author who avoids cliches (especially insta-love!) :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vivian the Spirit says: This REVIEW's awesomesauce, Joie!! I've recently been seeing this one a lot, and there's some mixed thoughts about it, but your review definitely blew me way, way, WAY towards the positive end of the spectrum! These characters really do sound absolutely amazing! Heck yes, witty characters and wow, that relationship between Kami and Jared....-rendered speechless- I am SO grabbing a copy of this when I have some free time! <3 Brilliant review, Joie! -POOF!-

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! sounds super good! Can't wait to read it! You got me all excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coucou!

    You definitely just sold me! I always judge a book on its characters and it seems like Unspoken has some great ones! Thank for your review!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I read every single one and they always make my day! <3

*Sorry, this is now an awards-free blog as I've already been nominated for them. Thanks for your consideration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...