MBB is an awesome weekly meme started by Missie The Unread Reader (find out more at by reading the intro post) and is currently co-hosted by Lesley over at My Keeper Shelf!
I recently finished Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross and I have FALLEN IN LOVE.
Not just with the creativity of the fairy tale retelling, but with BLUE VALENTINE.
In Beau Rivage, fairy tale characters come to life--and are forced to embrace their fairy tale destiny--and no, it's not the happily-ever-after fairy tale, but the dark, Grimm version.
There she meets Blue, an obnoxious boy with a dark secret and curse of his own, who wants Mira gone the moment he sees her.
A little bit about Blue...
- He's got an older brother named Felix who harbors a dangerous secret of his own
- his mother left when he was 4 and his father is rarely there
- "His hair and even his eyebrows were blue. Blue like sour candy, like poster paint, His hair stuck out from his head in spikes, stiff and sharp, and he had a smirk to match. A etal barbell pierced his left eyebrow."
- He has a heart mark on his back that symbolizes his fairy tale destiny/curse
- Blue acts like a jerk at first, but the more you get to know him, the more you realize that he's really not bad or mean at all, it's just his way of trying to protect people, and he's probably one of the most selfless people you'll ever meet.
"Why were you crying before? Were you scared?"
Mira shook her head, not sure how much to say. "No. I was...thinking about something that makes me sad."
"Okay. I wanted to make sure we didn't scare you."
"You weren't thinking about that when you broke into my room."
Blue shrugged, looking guilty. "I did want to scare you then. But only to warn you. I never wanted to make you cry--that takes things to a different place."
"A place where I'm hurting people, and not helping them."
"This is hopeless," Blue muttered.
"Can't you just be happy for me?"
She felt stupid as soon as she'd said it.
Blue barked out a laugh. "No. No, you idiot. I couldn't be more unhappy. You know, I don't usually know the girls he likes. Not like this. I look the other way most of the time. But I met you first. I knew you first.
"I wanted you first," he said.
"I want to tell you how pretty you are. I want to dance with you,: he said. "I want to know why you read plays and which ones are your favorites. I want to hold you on the beach at night; and I want to make you laugh. I want you to like me--that's my nature. That's what I have to resist. I's so much safer when you hate me, Mira. Because if you wanted me, if you loved me, I could take everything from you. Without even meaning to."
"He put his arms around her, and laid his head on her shoulder--like someone who needed a hug, not someone who was giving one. She rubbed his bare back lightly, her fingers drawn to the smooth heart mark at the base of his spine. It was more than the sign of his curse. He wore his broken heart on his skin."
Goodness I wish I could just type out the whole book for you because it's that good... but I have a feeling that would be frowned upon.
While reading, I pictured Nick Roux as Blue.