Aaaah! This week, I am so crushing on Jake Tolan from Saving June (which, by the way, is an absolutely AMAZING book.... just y'know... in case you were wondering... :)
- okay, technically his name is Jacob, but most people call him Jake (though there is one person who calls him Jay)
- is 18
- has messy brown hair that sticks out in all directions-- but the kind that makes bedhead look attractive
- has piercing green eyes
- sometimes wears a fedora!
- is obsessed with music. Really.
- believes that music can see you through anything
- can be sarcastic and frustrating
- has a black van named Joplin
- smokes..... but I mean... no one's perfect...
"Yeah, I kinda am," he agrees, grinning. "Without Music, life would be a mistake
"And that's what good music does. It speaks to you. It changes you." Jake leans in toward me a little closer, voice softening. "What I'm trying to say is, it's just nice, I guess, knowing that someone else can put into words what I feel. That there are people who have seen through things worse than I have, and they came out on the other side okay. Not only that, but they made some kind of twisted, fucked-up sense of the completely senseless. They made it mean something. These songs tell me I'm not alone. If you look at it that way, music... music can see you through anything."
I look at him for too long after that, and wonder why, exactly, Jake has to keep doing this--has to keep having these moments of saying or doing exactly the right thing, throwing my perception of him all off-kilter. Moments like these make me want more from him than I have ever wanted from any guy--or even just another person, period.
"Have you ever played me that Clapton song?" I whisper.
Jake stirs behind me. "no, I don't think so."
"How does it go?"