Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My Book Boyfriend: Roger Sullivan

Ah My Book Boyfriend Day.... Gosh, I swear this meme makes Wednesdays bearable! Anyways, if you don't know what this meme is, feel free to find out about it here at The Unread Reader's blog. :)

My swoon-worthy crush of the week?
Roger Sullivan from Amy and Roger's Epic Detour!

Y'know, when I was thinking of writing this up, I had a hard time pinpointing exactly why Roger was so freakin' swoon-worthy! And just, by the way, I still don't know... This is one of those cases where you don't actually realize just how much you love a character until the book's over and you don't have any more Roger to read about! His lovableness/swoon-worthy-ness amount like little snowflakes and you don't realize how much until you're standing in two inches of snow.

Somehow, I don't think I'll be able to do Roger justice in this post, but here goes nothing...

Roger Sullivan...
  • is19
  • goes to Colorado College
  • is the type to send girls roses over holiday breaks (awww)
  • has a penchant for history and explorers---gotta love nerdy quirks like that!
  • ...hence, nicknamed "Magellan" 
  • is friendly, a good listener, and doesn't lie
  • doesn't say goodbye 
  • makes good roadtrip playlists
  • ...oh, and he's pretty darn cute... just in case you were wondering--"The guy coming toward me was shockingly good-looking. He had broad shoulders, light brown hair, dark eyes, and he was already smiling at me."
(I picture him as Matt Lanter)


"Excellent," he said. "You'll be my Chekov."
I looked over at him. "Anton Chekhov?" I asked. "The playwright?"
"No, Chekov, the navigator of the Starship Enterprise," he said, looking back at me. "From Star Trek."
"I've never seen Star Trek," I said, breathing out a tiny sigh of relief. Maybe Roger wasn't quite as cool as he'd first seemed.
"Now that's a tragedy," he said. "Though I must admit, I've never read your Chekhov."

"Okay," I said, once we were back on the road, and I'd taken a sip of my soda. "Let me make sure I've gotten this. She's female, probably dead, famous, and kind of an explorer?"
"Correct," he said, putting down his visor against the sun, which had started to peek out of the clouds. "The answer is closer than you think. Sixteen."
......
"Amelia Earhart?" I asked, staring at Roger, once I'd finally given up. "Seriously?"
"What?" he asked. "We don't know that she's dead, after all. It's just presumed. I like to think that she landed on some fabulous South Sea island and has been having a great time for the last seventy years." He looked over at me an smiled. "I told you the answer was closer than you thought. Amelia."

"I mean, I should have known," he said, leaning back a little and smiling at me. "It always happens this way."
"What does?"
"The best discoveries always happened to the people who weren't looking for them. Columbus and Amerca. Pinzon, who stumbled on Brazil while looking for the West Indies. Stanley happened on Victoria Falls. And you. Amy Curry, when I was least expecting her."
I smiled back at him, while feeling sharply how much I was going to miss him. It was almost a physical pain. "I'm on that list?"
"You're at the top of that list."

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this book so so much! Their story is one of the prettiest stories ever! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I read every single one and they always make my day! <3

*Sorry, this is now an awards-free blog as I've already been nominated for them. Thanks for your consideration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...