Saturday, March 3, 2012

Review: That Boy

That Boy
by Jillian Dodd
Published May 16th 2011 

You know, being friends with two cute boys does have its benefits. 

There's Danny. Danny is a golden boy in every way. He has dreamy blue eyes and blonde hair that always looks perfect, even when it’s windblown or been stuck under a football helmet. He’s the boy every girl crushes on. The boy I get into trouble with, the boy I fight with, the hot quarterback no girl can resist, not even me. Being with Danny is like being on an adventure. He has a bright, contagious smile and abs to die for. He’s pretty much irresistible.

Equally crush worthy is Phillip. Adorable, sweet Phillip, who I have known since birth.  Phillip has dark hair, a perfect smile, brown eyes, and the sexiest voice I have ever heard. He’s the boy I talk to every night before I go to sleep. The boy who rescues me, the boy who can read my mind, the boy who is always there for me, the boy who tries to keep me out of trouble, the boy who irritatingly keeps getting hotter, and whose strong arms always seem to find their way around me.  And when he gives me that grin, I can never say no.

One boy will give me my very first kiss.
One boy will teach me to make out.
One boy will take me to prom.
And finally, one boy will ask me to marry him.
They will both be my best friends.
But only one of them will be the boy I fall in love with.
Only one of them is That Boy.

Rating: 4.75 out of 5
Review: 
 
 Oh WOW. I have been coveting this book ever since I first laid eyes on the blurb back in 2011! The rave reviews did not ease by desire one bit! I finally got a nook this past week and That Boy was the very first book I downloaded. And, of course, all those great reviewers were totally right--this book was fantastic!


I am such a total SUCKER for childhood-friends-turned-something-more stories! They are like my literary kryptonite! This one was exceptionally well written! I loved how it followed JJ, Phillip, and Danny from childhood all the way to after college graduation--I only wished it could've been even longer!


You know how sometimes you shouldn't judge a book by its cover---well definitely don't JUDGE this book by its cover.... but at the same time, the cover's also rather fitting. This book was... silly but in a totally good way!  I just couldn't stop smiling and giggling as I read!


The book's written in the form of JJ's diary and I loved the cute little doodles she put in along the way. Her narration was great! She's funny and truthful and a little silly and impulsive and fun-loving--and just all-around someone you'd want to be friends with.


And the boys! Oh, gosh I wish I could have next door neighbors like Danny and Philip! But, sigh, if wishes were fishes and all that jazz....ANYWAYS, I absolutely loved the boys (in case you couldn't already tell!) Danny was just like JJ--reckless and fun-loving, the perfect golden boy! And then there's Phillip, who's the one who kind of tethers the two of them to the earth--the one who plans ahead and is thoughtful, and equally swoon-worthy. BELIEVE ME, I could see how big a girl's dilemma would be if she had to choose between the two of them.


Oh, but this book was NOT like that at all! If you think their story is about a love triangle of the edward-bella-jacob variety, then GET THAT THOUGHT OUT OF YOUR HEADS! Right now! Their bond was not like that at all. It was so natural and believable--I mean, yes, JJ had "relationships" with both of them, but so not in the way that tears friends apart! Their friendship remains unshakable and is the kind of friendship that is quite enviable! As for the whole who-is-she-going-to-end-up-with question? Honestly? Jillian Dodd wrote this so well that for much of the book, I had no idea who That Boy was going to be!


While this book was a kind of silly, fast read, it was also surprisingly deep, emotionally speaking. I totally thought this would just be a light, fluffy read, but NO. It is most definitely not. There were definitely some...unforeseen emotional roller coasters in this book. But it was great to see how JJ evolved from them and how Phillip and Danny were there all the way. 

(and just btw, I thought the ending was perfect. Absolute perfection!)

Good gosh, I can definitely see why everyone has been raving about this book. Jillian Dodd has written a truly great novel--especially considering it's her debut. READ THIS BOOK! I can tell you one thing for sure, I cannot wait to get the sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I read every single one and they always make my day! <3

*Sorry, this is now an awards-free blog as I've already been nominated for them. Thanks for your consideration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...