Thursday, November 3, 2011

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door
by Stephanie Perkins 
Published September 29th, 2011 by Dutton Books



"Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door."

                                                                                                           ~blurb from goodreads.com


Review:
Stephanie Perkins is officially my new favorite author. I don't know how she does it, but she just has a way of crafting a story that practically pulls the reader right into the it, right into the protagonist's head! Oh, and her characters! She has an absolute talent for thinking up great, memorable characters. 
       I just finished Anna and the French Kiss and immediately got my hands on Lola and the Boy Next Door. I went in with some very high expectations, which, of course, always puts tremendous pressure on a book. BUT THIS BOOK DID NOT DISAPPOINT. AT ALL!

      Once again, Perkins has worked her magic on me and made me fall in love with another book. I completely agree with the raving reviews out there on how great this book is, though I ended up liking Anna and the French Kiss a bit more. Lola had a little to much relationship...angst for me. However, the characters in this book were absolutely amazing. The word amazing can't even do the characters justice; I was absolutely in love with Lola, Nathan, Andy, and of course, Cricket. Lola was such an admirable and likeable character (even if there were some things she did that kinda annoyed me) and Cricket was just so gosh-darned sweet! Be on the lookout for a My Book Boyfriend on him soon...  
     I think Perkins does a great job tackling many controversial issues such as the age-difference dating and having gay parents, but she does it in a way that's believable and not offensive at all.           
      OH! And of course, lovers of Anna and the French Kiss will be in for a real treat because she and St.Clair (!!!) are in this book too! Part of my love from this book come from the fact that you get to find out more about their story and they actually end up being pretty important supporting characters! 


This book gets 4. 5 stars from me!


And now, some of my fave quotes...


“What just happened?"
"Your father invited the former love of your life in for pie."
"Yeah, that's what I thought.” 


“Perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring."
I smile. "You don't think I'm perfect?"
"No. You're delightfully screwy, and I wouldn't have you any other way.” 


“Anna prods St. Clair's shoulder. "Come on. Weren't you gonna show me that thing?"
"What thing?"
She stares at him. He stares back. She cocks her head toward Cricket and me.
"Ah, yes." St. Clair stands. "That thing."
They rush out. The door shuts, and St. Clair shouts, "Lola, Cricket wants to show you his thing, too-oo!” 


“I don't believe in fashion. I believe in costume. Life is too short to be same person every day.” 

“Why didn't you guys dress up?" Lindsey asks.
"We did." Calliope cracks her first smile. "we're dressed as twins."
Lindsey grins back. "Hmm, I see it now. Fraternal or identical?"
"You'd be surprised how many people ask," Cricket says.
"What do you tell them?" Lindsey asks.
"That I have a penis."
Oh God. My cheeks burn as they all burst into laughter. Think about something else, Dolores. ANYTHING else. Cucumbers, Bananas, Zucchini. AHHHH! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. I turn my face away from them as Calliope fakes a yakking sound.” 


  “I told him your loins were clearly burning, and he should man up and make a move."
"You did not!"
"I did. And if he doesn't, then I suggest you jump his bones."



   










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I read every single one and they always make my day! <3

*Sorry, this is now an awards-free blog as I've already been nominated for them. Thanks for your consideration!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...